Kelly M. West Award for Outstanding Achievement in Epidemiology
Given in memory of Kelly M. West, widely regarded as the “father of diabetes epidemiology”, to an individual who has made significant contributions to the field of diabetes epidemiology.
Criteria for Selection: (Candidates can be peer or self-nominated.)
- Principal criteria for selection process: impact of scientific publications and presentations at scientific meetings related to the epidemiology of diabetes.
- Also, national and international stature in the field of diabetes epidemiology.
- Also, impact as a teacher and mentor will also be taken into consideration.
- MD, PhD, or MPH degree or equivalent is required.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
Lecture/Publication of Lecture:
- Recipient will deliver the Kelly West Award Lecture at the 84th Scientific Sessions in Orlando, FL on June 21-24, 2024. (Must be presented in person)
- Offered the opportunity to publish lecture in an American Diabetes Association scientific journal.
- The recipient receives a $3,000 honorarium.
- Award includes two round-trip coach airfares and hotel accommodations for the duration of the meeting.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions.
2024 Nomination/Submission Process:
- Nominations must be submitted using the electronic nomination form. All submissions must be received on or before 8pm ET, September 15, 2023.
- Nominations are accepted from any professional member of the American Diabetes Association.
- Nominations from the membership of the Epidemiology and Statistics Interest Group especially will be solicited.
All Kelly West Award nominations must have the following documents uploaded as one .pdf file:
- Letter of nomination/support must be no more than 400 words and signed by no more than 3 individuals. Letter of nomination/support should address criteria for selection.
- Nominee’s biography
- Nominee’s CV with career, mentoring, and publication highlights.
- Please include a list of current and former Mentees/Trainees
2024 nominations must be submitted using the online submission form.
Questions? Contact Gedeon Topacio, Program Manager, Research & Scientific Programs, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The recipient is chosen by the National Scientific & Health Care Achievement Awards Committee and approved by the Executive Committee of the American Diabetes Association, February 2024.