WIN ADA Awards
Lois Jovanovic Transformative Woman in Diabetes Award
The Lois Jovanovic Transformative Woman in Diabetes Award is given in memory of Lois Jovanovic, MD, a renowned scientist in the field of diabetes and women’s health who passed away in September 2018. Dr. Jovanovic, who lived with type 1 diabetes herself, drove research that improved neonatal outcomes for other women affected by the disease, and was an iconic woman scientist in the field. Presented by the Women’s Interprofessional Network of the American Diabetes Association (WIN ADA), the Lois Jovanovic Transformative Woman in Diabetes Award recognizes a woman scientist, clinician, educator, or other female professional who has made a significant impact in the field of diabetes and/or in the lives of people affected by the disease.
The 2023 Lois Jovanovic Transformative Woman in Diabetes Award Recipient
Ann Albright, PhD, RDN
Learn more about Dr. Albright here!
Lois Jovanovic Transformative Woman in Diabetes Award Eligibility Criteria:
• Principal criteria: To recognize a female professional in the diabetes field who has made outstanding contributions to diabetes research, clinical practice, diabetes education, public health, and/or other related disciplines.
• Nominees will be recognized for national and/or international contributions to the field of diabetes. Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible.
• There are no specific degree requirements.
• Nominees’ contributions to the ADA and to the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
• Nominees may not be current ADA national officers or have held a national officer position within the past three years.
• Nominees may not be current members of the WIN ADA Advisory Group or serve on the ADA’s Medicine, Science, & Health Care Awards Committee.
Nomination Submission Guidelines:
Nomination packages must include:
• Letter of nomination (no more than 400 words), signed by no more than 3 individuals
• Nominee's biography
• Nominee's curriculum vitae with career and publication highlights, as well as documentation of teaching and mentorship
Nominations are accepted from professional members of the ADA as well as non-members. Nominations from WIN ADA members are highly encouraged and will be solicited.
Award Recipient Selection Process:
- The award recipient will be chosen by the WIN ADA Advisory Group. The selection committee will review and discuss all nominations and select the recipient on the basis of outstanding achievements in diabetes care, research, education, or related disciplines.
View the 2023 award profile.
Nominations for the 2024 Lois Jovanovic Award will open soon.
All Lois Jovanovic Transformative Woman in Diabetes Award nominations must have the following documents uploaded as one PDF file:
o Letter of nomination or nominee’s biography of no more than 400 words.
o Nominee’s biography
o Nominee’s curriculum vitae with career, teaching, mentorship, and/or publication highlights (if applicable).