Unless otherwise noted, all references in Fast Facts are from the National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2014. The Fact Sheet is the product of a joint collaboration of the CDC, NIDDK, the American Diabetes Association, and other government and nonprofit agencies.
Sources of data for Fast Facts that do not come from the Fact Sheet:
- Approximately 1.25 million American children and adults have type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 prevalence figure calculated from prevalence data from the CDC’s SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth study and from data in the National Diabetes Statistics Report showing that type 1 diabetes represents 5% of diagnosed diabetes.
- Costs of diabetes.
- American Diabetes Association: Economic Costs of Diabetes in the United States in 2012. Diabetes Care 36: 1033—1046, 2013.
- 85.2% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese
- CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report MMWR 2003
- The prevalence of diagnosed diabetes in the U.S. increased by 128% from 1988 to 2008
- Calculated from NIHS data
- As many as 1 in 3 American adults will have diabetes in 2050 if present trends continue
- Projection of the year 2050 burden of diabetes in the US adult population: dynamic modeling of incidence, mortality, and prediabetes prevalence
- Diabetes kills more Americans every year than AIDS and breast cancer combined
- Diabetes: Health, United States, 2010: 69,201 deaths
- Breast cancer 40,676 deaths, 2009
- AIDS, 21,601 deaths, 2009
- A person with diagnosed diabetes at age 50 dies 6 years earlier than a counterpart without diabetes
- Diabetes Mellitus, Fasting Glucose, and Risk of Cause-Specific Death
Other Sources of Statistics
State by State and County Level Diabetes Statistics
State by state diagnosed prevalence and county level diabetes statistics can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's web site.
Get the state by state numbers
Get county level estimates
Economic Cost of Diabetes in the US 2012
A summary and links to the study and supplementary data can be found on DiabetesPro at professional.diabetes.org/cost